Monday 8 November 2010

Wendy Tilby


I have been struggling with developing a story. My original idea was just a very atmospheric character piece, which I then tried to develop into a story, without much success! I believe my original idea is much better, in having a scene play out, without much of a story. In my first seminar Leonie suggested I watch "When the day breaks" by Wendy Tilby. I really like how the film is paced and think that this could really help influence my style. Watching this also helped me to see how a film can move without dialogue, something I have been concerned with using.
I really wanted to make a piece that relies on character performance to communicate what's going on instead of words. In todays seminar we watched 'Strings' also by Wendy Tilby. I loved this films pace and limited colour pallet, and that even though nothing is said between the characters and they don't have allot going on in terms of expression and body language, the pace, the silence and the rhythm of the film really communicate what is going on between these two characters.
Again Leonie pointed out that the mes-en-scene in this film is very important and tells allot about the character and her personality. This is definitely relevant to my film. I really want the house to be a reflection of the mind set my character is in, and the girl coming in to clean it be a very obvious metaphor for this. However I will need to think more on how this will effect my characters within the story.
I really want to get the lighting and colours right in my film.

No comments:

Post a Comment